Compact and lightweight—an outstanding walk-around lens—Canon's EF 50mm f/1.8 STM is a great entry into the world of EOS prime lenses. With an 80mm effective focal-length on APS-C cameras, 50mm on full-frame cameras, it's an excellent prime lens for portraits, action, even nighttime photography. Its bright maximum aperture of f/1.8 helps it not only to excel in low light, but also to capture gorgeous, sharp images and movies with beautiful background blur thanks to its circular 7-blade design. An updated lens arrangement with new lens coatings helps render images with excellent color balance, plus minimized ghosting and flare. Performance is brilliant, with a stepping motor (gear-type STM) to deliver near silent, continuous Movie Servo AF for movies plus speedy, smooth AF for stills. A redesigned exterior with improved focus ring placement makes manual focus adjustments a breeze. Canon's most compact 50mm lens, the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM has a rugged metal mount, plus an improved minimum focusing distance of 1.15 ft. (0.35m) and a maximum magnification of 0.21x. Offering sharp performance for the best in movies and stills, it's a fixed focal length gem—the perfect lens for photographers and moviemakers to expand the creative possibilities with their EOS cameras.
- Compact, lightweight fixed focal length lens ideal for everyday photos, and with a large f/1.8 aperture, a perfect lens for low-light photography and creative background blur.
- 80mm effective focal-length when attached to an APS-C camera, optimal for portraits and photos of fast moving subjects such as children and pets.
- A stepping motor (Gear-type STM) supports the Movie Servo AF function in providing smooth and quiet continuous AF during video recording, as well as when shooting photos.
- Improved exterior design includes new focus ring placement making it the most compact Canon 50mm lens.
- Metal mount helps provide stability and ruggedness.
- Optimized lens placement and coatings help deliver outstanding color balance, while minimizing ghosting and flare.
- Circular aperture (7 blades) helps deliver beautiful, soft backgrounds.
- Minimum focusing distance of 1.15 ft. (0.35m); maximum magnification of 0.21x.
|Focal Length & Maximum Aperture||50mm f/1.8|
|Lens Construction||6 elements in 5 groups|
|Diagonal Angle of View||46°|
|Focus Adjustment||AF with full-time manual|
|Closest Focusing Distance||1.15 ft./0.35m|
|Max. Diameter x Length, Weight||2.7 x 1.6 in., 5.7 oz. |
69.2 x 39.3mm, 160g